Falcons soar higher than Aztecs

Falcons soar higher than Aztecs

By Angel Pedroza, Sports Editor

The 2017 high school football season rolled forward as excitement filled the arena at the Socorro Student Activities Complex Thursday night. The El Dorado Aztecs aimed to defend their title at the homecoming game against the Eastlake Falcons. However, the Aztecs stayed grounded as the Falcons flew in for the win 34-12, starting the El Dorado season off at 0-1 (district 0-0).

The first half left the Aztecs stunned, as the Falcons came out of the gate strong, giving themselves 20-0 lead by the end of the first quarter. It was a lead they kept throughout the whole half, with the only score from the Aztecs being a run from senior Cedarious Barfield, ending the half 27-6.

“Every play is an opportunity for us to be successful,” head coach Ruben Torres said in the locker room, getting the players ready for the second half. “If we’re not all in this together, nothing will happen.”

As the Aztecs tried to get back on their feet, the Falcons came out more relentless than before running up the scoreboard 34-6. With the will the Aztecs had, senior Cameron Hill finalized the score at 34-12, giving Eastlake the homecoming win.

“We preach character all the time, but things won’t always go our way,” said Torres, when asked the biggest lesson learned after the game. “I’d say the biggest lesson learned is mental toughness between coaches and players.”

In the locker room, senior defensive tackle Rickie McCoy took initiative and spoke to other players before the second half.

“I needed to give them hope and energy for not only them, but for myself,” McCoy said when asked what he was trying to accomplish. “I got to be there for them, so they could be there for me in the long run.”

The Aztecs will play the Frenship Tigers on Friday in Frenship, Texas.