Aztecs march past Troopers

By Angel Pedroza, Sports Editor

In the first district game, the El Dorado Aztecs took a trip to Eastwood High School to face off against the Troopers on Friday night. The Aztecs ended up with a second half comeback win against the Troopers finishing it 34-27, to start off the Aztecs district record at 1-0.

The first quarter was all the Troopers, as they made two touchdowns with one missed PAT making it 13-0, to end the first quarter and take the lead over Aztecs. The Aztecs didn’t lose hope whatsoever, as two touchdown runs were made by team quarterback Cedarious Barfield. With also one PAT miss by the Aztecs the score didn’t stay 13-13 for long, as the Troopers made a touchdown pass before the end of the half, making it 20-13 and again taking the lead over the Aztecs.

“We have to take this, we have to dominate. That’s it,” head coach Ruben Torres said when giving motivation to the Aztecs in locker room at half-time. “You have to protect that gold trophy. You are the district champions.”

With the second half underway, the Aztecs clicked, as they made back-to-back touchdowns to take the lead over the Troopers for the first time in the game. The score at the end of the third quarter was 27-20. The Aztecs increased the lead with a touchdown pass during the mid-fourth quarter, but Eastwood shortened their deficit by making a final touchdown to end the game 34-27, Aztec win.

“It’s district play now and every game is going to be like this, there are no easy ones,” Torres said. “It’s going to be a dogfight. We got a lot of things to clean up and move on to get better for a successful season.”

• Aztecs march past Troopers

Articles

DI team travels to state

• Aztecs march past Troopers

Articles

Motivation

• Aztecs march past Troopers

Articles

Winning Mariachi

• Aztecs march past Troopers

Articles

Feel Accepted, Be Accepting

• Aztecs march past Troopers

Articles

March For Our Lives Art Contest

• Aztecs march past Troopers

Articles

March for our Lives

• Aztecs march past Troopers

Articles

El Dorado principal makes updated statement on verbal threat

• Aztecs march past Troopers

Articles

The Arms Epidemic

• Aztecs march past Troopers

Articles

College Cautions

• Aztecs march past Troopers

Articles

Carnage Presents RARE

Aztecs march past Troopers