Soccer Champs Story

Soccer Boys see #GOALS realized with Sweet 16 spot
By Ariana Contreras / Photo by Kacee Muñoz

On Tuesday the El Dorado boy’s soccer team made history in Midland, Texas, beating Sam Houston with penalty kicks 7-5. With that win, they are now in the “Sweet 16” of the state championship, a place that El Dorado has never been before. This historic run began last week when the boys beat Ft. Worth Paschal 1-0 in Wolfforth, Texas.
“We really knew how to manage our plays throughout the game,” junior Alejandro Lozano said.
Just coming off of a big win, the boys didn’t let it get to their heads. They stayed focused for the game against Sam Houston.
“Stepping onto the field I knew my team had my back and I could trust them with my life,” senior defender Jordan Lopez said.
The game was a close call as both teams fought to get on top going into not only overtime, but also penalties. Ultimately, El Dorado came out on top with a score of 7-5.
“It was an intense game. We were fighting the whole time. It was an evenly-matched game,” said junior Omar Barraza. “We capitalized on some errors that they made and came out with the victory.”
Excitement and energy could be felt throughout the hallways yesterday as students were even seen watching the game through a live stream on their phones. And once the announcement was made that they were one step closer to becoming state champs, the halls were filled with cheers.
“It’s a big deal for our school,” said junior student Angelina Maldonado.
The soccer team has advanced to the regional semifinals and will now be heading to Midland again to play against Plano East High School.
To keep up, make sure to follow the official twitter for the El Dorado High School Men’s Soccer team for updates during the next couple of games at @EDHSMsoccer.