El Dorado Upsets Midland Lee 62-35

By Alexander Thompson, Sports Editor

Photo by Kacee Munoz

El Dorado prevailed and defeated a diminished Midland Lee team Friday night at the Socorro Student Activities Complex to improve 2-1 on the season. The Aztecs overwhelmed the Rams, as they pulled out multiple defensive stops and new offensive schemes to best the tough opponent.

Heading into the first quarter, the Aztecs started with a jaw-dropping drive for their homecoming game. Midland fumbled two minutes into the game and the Aztecs responded with a touchdown pass to senior Jorge Hernandez on a huge gain of more than 90 yards to set the tempo.

El Dorado even scored a two-point conversion, showing the might of the empire with an 8-0 lead. The Aztecs went full throttle after junior Cedarious Barfield caught a touchdown pass from a trick play and Hernandez painted more points on the board.

Even with a 21-7 lead the Aztecs recovered the ball on a kickoff to Midland, boosting confidences and executing the coaches’ game plan.

The second quarter was a handful as well, chalking up more points without realizing the damage the Aztecs had done. The receiving core orchestrated routes beautifully, while senior Tyquez Hampton and junior Cameron Hill got their first touchdowns of the game. Barfield ran in a QB keep and the defense showed up as junior Salvador Avila caught an interception. The Aztecs walked in the locker room governing the first half 41-7.

The second half had offensive moments, such as Hill catching his second touchdown of the game with a breeze and putting up a score of 48-14. Hampton received two more touchdowns, having three total in the game. The third ended with a 62-28 stretch for Midland.

The fourth was sealed after junior Nick Leyva got a touchdown, putting away the score at 62-35.

Hill scored his first two touchdowns as a varsity player for the team in tremendous fashion.

“It feels pretty good, you know, just had to break the ice,” Hill said. “Hopefully there are a lot more to come. Cedarious is getting used to the receivers and we’re all getting comfortable.”

The homecoming game was a much-needed win after the tough loss to Frenship last week.

“Last week’s loss really hurt us,” Hernandez said. “We worked hard at practice and executing, but we still need to fix the little things.”

The change of play style came from a disappointing frontal last week and the coaches formed a new system ready to be flexible for Midland.

After a bye-week, the Aztec will face Eastwood at 7 p.m. at the SAC for a division game. The team seems ready to down the Troopers.

“Oh… We’re definitely going to bring it to Eastwood,” Hernandez said.