Filed under Accolades, Showcase, Sports

Five athletes sign letters of intent

Giving Thanks

By Ariana Arredondo, Aztec Gold Editor- In- Chief

On National Signing Day, five athletes signed their national letters of intent on the the El Dorado theater’s stage. Those recognized were Olivia Eagleson, Brianna Corral, Cedarious Barfield, Ruben Melendez and Salvador Avila. The room was jam-packed with supportive family members, friends and teammates.

“I’m feeling blessed and thankful for the people I have in my life,” Corral said.

Corral will be playing collegiate soccer at the University of the Southwest and emphasized her love for her family when she was the first to stand and give her thank you speech.

Like Corral, Eagleson is leaving El Paso to play soccer and thanked her family, friends, and coaches in a tear-filled speech. She will be playing for Our Lady of the Lake.

“I’m sad about leaving El Paso but it’s a new experience and I’m excited for that,” Eagleson said.

Alongside these two soccer players were three football players. Barfield signed to San Diego State after receiving offers from UTEP, the University of New Mexico,and the University of Southern Mississippi. He has been recognized as MVP two years in a row and is proud to represent El Paso at his new home in San Diego.

“El Dorado has prepared me for this moment. Ever since I was a freshman this school has shaped my character,” Barfield said.

Melendez signed to Earlham College and cracked a few jokes up on stage as he described the game that changed his outlook on football.

“There are key moments in our lives that will forever change us,” Melendez said. “That moment came my sophomore year during our championship game against Americas High school where we were down by two points in the last two minutes and coach was like, ‘Hey, you’re gonna have to kick.’”

Avila signed to Valley State University for both baseball and football. He shared his journey to becoming a collegiate athlete and how his coaches and teammates shaped him.

“Coach bill was one of the coaches that ever taught me how to put a helmet and shoulder pads on. He was the first coach to ever teach me anything related to football,” Avila said

• Five athletes sign letters of intent

Articles

Remembering Stan Lee

• Five athletes sign letters of intent

Articles

The Beauty of Day of the Dead: Photographer captures downtown festival

• Articles

The Final Set: Band students reflect on marching season

• Five athletes sign letters of intent

Articles

Ruffing it: Helping Pets in Need

• Five athletes sign letters of intent

Accolades

El Dorado achieves 7 out of 7 TEA distinctions

• Five athletes sign letters of intent

News

Trio joins forces to advance to international science fair

• Five athletes sign letters of intent

Articles

DI team travels to state

• Five athletes sign letters of intent

Articles

Hernando’s Betancourt named new principal

• Five athletes sign letters of intent

clubs

Crowd comes to Fall Fest despite cold weather

• News

The New Generation Votes

Five athletes sign letters of intent