Lady Aztecs win first home game against Eastlake

By Anissa Campa and Andrea Martinez
Aztec Gold Online

Making up for the tragic loss against Mayfield, the El Dorado Lady Aztecs defeated the Eastlake Falcons 51-44, making it their first win at home.

“Every night we’ve got a bullseye on our backs and on our chest,” Head Coach Ty Burns said Tuesday night after the win.

This is the first time the Lady Aztecs go up against Eastlake’s basketball team and come out with a win. Post Stephanie Cordova opened the night with a layup, giving the El Dorado Aztecs a 2-0 lead. With 2 minutes and 22 seconds left in the first period, it was tied 10-10, which was when forward Adeola Akomolafe had two consecutive baskets, making the score 14-10 at the end of the first period.

As the second period began, the Aztecs gained more of a thrust, taking the lead once again 28-24 by the end of the second period.

A few minutes into the third period there were some complications with the lights and scoreboard due to a neighborhood-wide power outage. This resulted in game officials manually keeping score. Despite the complications the game continued, and the Aztecs ended the third period 36-33.

With the possibility of the game ending in a 38-38 tie, the lights went out once again. Five minutes into the power outage the lights came back on and the game resumed. That is when Cordova got a steal giving an assist to guard Ciara Fields. The Falcons then made a three bringing the Aztecs to being down by one. With 2:47 left in the game, Akomolafe was fouled and made one of her free throws, bringing the game to a tie again. With less than a minute left, freshman post Alexia Reynoso was fouled making the shot, and the free throw, giving the Aztecs the lead once again. As the game came to an end, point guard Latrice Washington closed the game, giving the Aztecs the win 51-44.

Although the El Dorado Aztecs won, they didn’t play like they wanted to according to Burns and team captain Akomolafe, who led the team with 21 points.

“We have to keep positive, because throughout this game the people don’t understand that nobody’s perfect,” Akomolafe said. “We just have to try minimize the mistakes, and stay positive, because at the end of the day that’s what’s gonna keep them going.