Aztecs roll through Gadsden Panthers

By Isayah Garner and Dylan Wilburn

The El Dorado Aztecs came out strong to start Thursday’s game against the Gadsden Panthers with a touchdown pass to Jorge Hernandez on the first play of their drive. The Aztecs continued their dominance throughout the first half with touchdowns by senior receiver Cameron Covington, senior running back Sergio Gonzalez and junior running back Demaijah Birdsong.

The Aztecs ended the first half of the game with a score of 62–0. With the offense already averaging 639 total yards and 54 points per game, it was no surprise just how effective they were this time.

At the half, Head Coach James Althoff pulled the team together in the locker room to talk about the attitude they needed to have for the second half.

“Right now it’s all about having great sportsmanship,” Althoff said. “It’s all about having class.”

He made sure they understood that they needed to play hard for the rest of the game, but still maintain respect in light of playing a team that was, at that time, scoreless.

“Realize how lucky we are to be at El Dorado,” Althoff said.

The rest of the game went by slowly. Gadsden was able to score, and the Aztecs managed a field goal. However, that was the last time either team scored. The game ended with a score of 65-7. Now the Aztecs look to move forward to their next true test, the Midland Lee Rebels, whom the Aztecs beat last year in a double overtime thriller.