Aztecs Handle Coronado T-Birds 32-28

Aztecs Handle Coronado T-Birds 32-28

By Alex Thompson

(Sports Editor)

Facing off against the T-Birds, the Aztecs stepped into enemy territory at Coronado High School for an important make it or break it situation for Coronado. Coronado needed to win against the No. 5 El Dorado Aztecs in front of a senior night crowd to make the post-season bracket.

Coronado was in for a fight as the Aztecs weren’t feeling too generous after losing their top spot earlier this season and won 32-28.

The first half of the game was disturbing for both teams as Coronado broke through the defensive line multiple times. El Dorado was behind going to the locker room, but then junior Cedarious Barfield scored off a tremendous 82-yard dash that wasn’t partnered with an extra point, making a lead of 6-0.

Coronado came to play and scored back to back touchdowns challenging El Dorado at their own offensive antics. The Aztecs only answered back with a field goal, creating a steady paced game at 9-14 at the half.

The second half displayed the coaches’ strategies on both sides of the ball, battling for control later in the game. Senior Kevin Henderson was able to run in two touchdowns, while Barfield ran in another QB keep to best the T-Birds in the scoring column.

Coronado was only able to score twice. Even with time left on the clock, the Aztecs concluded the game with a turnover on downs and kneels across the field. Coronado met a dissatisfying conclusion, however the Aztecs added another tally mark to the season’s record, bringing it to 6-2.

The offensive line has built up the strength to help Barfield stay in the pocket for longer extensions of time. This noteworthy position assisted in the win, as they were a huge reason why Barfield could get shots off to the receivers or run with tentative blocking.

“We just practiced all week to help Ced get more time in the pocket, so we could be prepared for this game,” junior guard Derrick Assad said. “Our defense comes in clutch every week, especially when we’re struggling and then we come in on top because they get good stops.”

The defense started off dazed, but shook off the nerves when the team needed the last stop to cage the T-Birds.

Next week the El Dorado Aztecs play at 7:30 p.m. at the SAC against the Americas Trailblazers. Be ready to experience competition at its finest as the two biggest teams duke it out for the top spot heading into the playoffs.