Aztecs Foil Trailblazers Season for District Title 42-29

img_4603Aztecs Foil Trailblazers Season for District Title 42-29

Story and Photo By Alex Thompson, Sports Editor

The El Dorado Aztecs played against rivaled Americas Trailblazers at the Socorro Student Activities Complex in a match for the district championship. Senior Joshua Fields of the Trailblazers carried Americas High school offensively, however El Dorado’s defense stuffed their run game and prevented them from winning the game.

The score read 42-29 by the end of the night, ensuring the Aztec conquest. After the loss against Montwood, El Dorado needed the win to place for the district title, except El Dorado is guaranteed first with their points tallied higher than Americas and Montwood.

The first quarter began with a smooth transition, as nothing over the top occurred. The Trailblazers scored first, but junior Cedarious Barfield answered back with his own run to counter an 8-7 lead. Junior Willie Croslen had multiple defensive stops, including multiple sacks to interfere with America’s game plan.

“We got a lot better, defense especially after the loss,” said Croslen. “The coach said that’s the best thing that happened to us, as we were able to get these next few wins.”

The rest of the quarter was broken up by tough three and outs for both teams, however the second quarter changed the momentum for the Aztecs. Americas scored early, except El Dorado came back with junior Corey McCoy’s catch into the end zone.

As the final seconds of the half struck down, the Trailblazers attempted a three-point field goal conversion that resulted out of their own favor. Senior George Hernandez returned the attempt for a 105-yard touchdown with no time left to spare. Aztecs gathered in the locker room up 21-15.

The second half was a tremendous scoring and defensive display. America’s predictable play calling made it easy for El Dorado to stop. Junior Cameron Hill receives another touchdown on the season and captures the desired lead the coaches wanted.

Senior Kevin Henderson picked off America’s Quarterback on an important drive in the game, as well as Barfield racking up two more touchdowns in the game. The Trailblazers scored twice, but it wasn’t enough to regain entry into the game. El Dorado won it by 13 points, 42-29.

“Everybody worked their a** off. We were upset a little by Montwood and it was just a great effort,” Croslen said on a huge win this season.

With playoffs coming up and the last game of the season around the corner, pressure is ensuing on the Aztecs for the bright lights of state football.

“First things first, we need to take care of Pebble Hills and then after that we want to march as far as we can in playoffs and hopefully win state,” Croslen said.

El Dorado plays their final season game at 7:30 p.m on Thursday against Pebble Hills High School at the SAC. It will be Senior night, so be sure to go out and support our 2016-2017 seniors.