A New Tradition

El Dorado shuts the Rams out back to back

Story by Isayah Garner- Photo by Daniel Perez

After coming off a loss last week against Eastwood, El Dorado looked to turn their attentions toward their biggest rivals, the Montwood Rams. After scoring their first victory over the Rams last year, the Aztecs were determined to start a new tradition – shutting out Montwood.

Last night was the first time in three seasons that the team took the field without their starting quarterback. Senior Austyn Hill stood on the sidelines while sophomore quarterback Cedarious Barfield took the snaps for this high-powered offense.

The first half consisted of one touchdown on offense by junior, Demijah Birdsong. Montwood started to drive down and gain momentum, until an interception by junior Kevin Henderson was taken back for a touchdown and turned it all around. The second quarter ended with the Aztecs up 14-0.

At the half, head coach James Althoff pulled everyone together and talked about how their attitude was much better than last week.

“Go out and finish the deed,” Althoff said. “The pressure is not on you, the pressure is on them.”

The Aztecs managed to score two more times, with both runs by senior Sergio Gonzalez and sophomore Cedarious Barfield. The defense was able to hold Montwood to a second straight shutout, and picked them off two more times.

Offensive coordinator Scott Veliz said the offense did as good as they thought they he would do with a new quarterback.

“Cedarious is young,” Veliz said. “But he did a great job controlling the offense.”

El Dorado has a new tradition on their hands, and although this was a great win for the school, they now look to their matchup with the Socorro Bulldogs. A win against them could potentially move the Aztecs up in the standings.