El Dorado Stunned by Frenship 42-28

El Dorado Stunned by Frenship 42-28

Story and Photo by Alex Thompson, Sports Editor

The El Dorado Aztecs fell to 1-1 on the season after losing to the Frenship Tigers at the Socorro Student Activities Complex. Frenship’s running back Garrison Johnson was the true highlight after running past El Dorado’s defense with his damaging four touchdowns, while the Aztecs had trouble scoring on the offensive side of the field.
The first quarter was stagnant as neither team was able to do much with the football. The defenses shined, shutting each other’s offenses out, until Frenship took the first shot and led 7-0 at the end of the first.

Senior Tyquez Hampton began to heat up toward the end of the first, as he moved the chains further down the field. The two teams butt heads when junior Cedarious Barfield scored his only touchdown of the night off a QB keep, calling it even at 7-7. Frenship answered rapidly, recapturing their lead 14-7.

The rest of the second quarter seemed to be El Dorado’s gateway to success, following Hampton’s lead. He was able to score back-to-back touchdown catches during two of the Aztec’s offensive drives. A fumble at the end of the first half, recovered by senior Octavio Naranjo, boosted Aztec morale with a 21-21 stalemate heading into the locker rooms.

The third quarter didn’t receive much action. El Dorado was only able to take a commanding lead thanks to an interception by junior Salvador Avila. His efforts helped create a touchdown pass too senior Keysean Watson and lead 28-21.

However, the Tigers proved to be too much for El Dorado’s defense. They scored in quick succession early in the fourth, dominating 35-28. El Dorado had their opportunity to rebuttal, but a late fumble by Barfield ultimately caused the Tigers to gain a two-possession lead. The scoreboard lit up 41-28, as the Aztecs lost Friday night.

The receiving core looked as strong as ever, putting up a majority of the Aztecs points.

“I felt excited and pumped that I can perform at this level,” said Keysean Watson after catching his first touchdown as a varsity member. “We were great at all stages of the game, but we were only lacking discipline.”

The Aztecs’ receiving core was frustrated by the loss, knowing what they have to fix for next week’s game.

Next week El Dorado faces Midland Lee at 7:30 p.m. for their homecoming game.

“I feel we can compete with them. Our chemistry will grow throughout the week and I know we can keep up with Lee,” Watson said.

Midland Lee could be a trial to see if the team is ready to compete at the next level.