Eagles Fly High

By Angel Pedroza, Sports Editor

The Philadelphia Eagles won Super Bowl 52 (LII) over the New England Patriots 41-33 Sunday night at U.S. Bank Stadium. Here’s how it unfolded:

Nick Foles started this season as a backup quarterback to Carson Wentz, and he ended it as Super Bowl MVP. Foles threw for 373 yards and three touchdowns, with one interception and also caught a touchdown for the Eagles win.

“We’ve played this game since we were little kids,” Foles said to ESPN. “There’s plenty of kids watching this game right now, dreaming about this moment and someday will be here. To be here with my daughter, my wife, my family, my teammates, this city — we’re very blessed.”

Most teams would panic with a double-digit deficit in the second half of the Super Bowl, but not the Patriots and five time Super Bowl winner Tom Brady. They weren’t rallying back from 28-3 like they did last year against Atlanta, but the Patriots erased a 29-19 third-quarter deficit to take a 33-32 lead early in the fourth quarter.

“Those guys had a good rush, got it there and made good plays,” Brady said. “They make good plays at the right time.”

After the Patriots took their first lead of the game, at 33-32 with 9:22 remaining, the Eagles could have fallen easily. But Foles led the Eagles on a 14-play, 75 yard touchdown drive to retake the lead with 2:21 remaining on an 11-yard pass from Foles to tight end Zach Ertz.

The amazing play by Foles was just the beginning. After being demolished by Brady in the early second half, the Eagles defense gave the Patriots the first turnover of the game. Not only was it their first, but the most crucial turnover for it was the Patriots last chance for the comeback win.

By sacking Tom Brady and forcing a fumble, the Eagles rejoiced as they secured the victory over New England and brought home the best cheesesteak Philly can ask for — The Lombardi Trophy.