The Student Voice of El Dorado High School

Aztec Gold Online News

Aztec Gold Online News

Aztec Gold Online News

Varsity Volleyball Win At Hanks

[wowslider id=”54″]

By Isayah Garner

Going into the game undefeated, the Lady Aztecs went to visit the Lady Knights at Hanks High School Tuesday.

The first set was not a total blowout, but the Aztecs cruised to a 25-17 win. The second set however, was a completely different story. Both traded blows, going back and forth.

The Knights were able to pull out with a late run to win 25-20. The third set was all Aztecs. Although, the Knights did their best to come back, the Aztecs pulled out a win, 25-17. Giving them the victory for the match.

With a tournament coming up this weekend at Eastwood High School, this should boost their confidence, heading into district play.

JV Finishes Strong

For the JV Lady Aztecs, their resiliency was tested against the Lady Knights.

Showing up undefeated, the first set proved that their winning streak wasn’t anything that came by luck. They kept control the whole time, and went on to win that set 25-19. For the next set, it seemed as if they had the match in the bag.

After leading 18-9 at the first timeout, the Knights went on a roll, bringing the score to 18-15 by the second timeout. Hanks continued their run, but our strong-willed Aztecs put up a fight, making the Knights fall short 25-23.

Coach Jennifer Wickes said that the girls felt a little disappointed that they couldn’t finish off that second game, which would’ve allowed them to come back and win.

“They knew they got lazy,” Wickes said. “They slacked off in the second game.”

The third set, however, the Aztecs showed no mercy. After being down 8-7 at the first timeout, the Aztecs went on a 9-0 run, making it 16-8 at the second timeout, and going on a 8-0 run before the Knights scored their next point.

The Aztecs won 25-10, conquering the match. They will be heading to the tournament at Eastwood.

“We’re ready to see bigger teams, stronger teams, especially ones that are in our district,” claimed Coach Wickes. “This match was definitely a test for them, and we’ll see how the girls will respond, as district play approaches them.”

Varsity Dominates the Lady Knights

The Lady Aztecs have been destroying their competition so far, maintaining an undefeated season, and winning first place in their previous tournament.

You could almost say this was a perfect example of their dominance, as the Aztecs cruised to the victory, winning each set by 12 or more points.

Without a doubt, the girls know they have quite the competition this weekend for their tournament at Franklin High School.

Coach Roel De Anda knew Tuesday’s game was very important. “Tonight was the night we could put people on the floor,” De Anda said. “It’s gonna test us.”

Even with a new coach to get used to, the Aztecs continue to roll and nothing appears to being stopping these young ladies any time soon.