The Student Voice of El Dorado High School

Aztec Gold Online News

Aztec Gold Online News

Aztec Gold Online News

Aztecs trample down Troopers in comeback thriller

Story and Photo by Alex Thompson, Sports Editor

The No. 2 Aztecs and No. 1 Troopers put on a show at the Socorro Student Activities Complex Thursday night. El Dorado improved to 3-1 on the season and crowned themselves first in the division, after taking out the former top team.

The first quarter was a back and forth battle, with the Aztecs struggling to maintain the lead. Senior Tyquez Hampton began the charge with an early 8-0 lead. Junior Cedarious Barfield tried to uphold their efforts with two of his own touchdowns. The Aztecs were up 22-13 at the end of the first, despite having multiple flags thrown against them and junior Christian Castillo getting ejected.

The second quarter belonged to Eastwood, as they scored twice to create a 33-22 lead heading into the locker room. The Troopers outscored the Aztecs 20-0 in the quarter, numbing the Aztecs’ mentality. The Aztecs were still in flag trouble with the refs, which led to senior Ernie Espinoza to be ejected early in the second.

Diving headfirst into the second half, the Aztecs rallied behind each other. Emotions poured out in the locker room, as the phrase “no more mistakes and no more complaining” echoed off the walls. They weren’t going to lose without contending this Trooper team.

Players rose to the occasion and one of those players was junior Cameron Hill. Hill put the team on his back and scored the next three touchdowns to put El Dorado back in the game and cut the lead. “At half time I was mad… I felt that we were playing Eastwood and the refs,” Hill said. “So, coming back out I was determined to help change the momentum of the game.”

Then senior Jorge Hernandez ended the onslaught with his catch, to put El Dorado up 49-45. The next kneels ran out the clock, ensuring Aztec conquest and dethroning the Troopers from their pedestal.

“We played our hardest you know, we never gave up. Those two players were good players but some calls were made and we had to keep are heads up high,” commented junior Ricky McCoy on the two disqualified players.

“This game was a big moment for me, but I just wanted to go out there for the team.”

Huge comeback efforts proved that El Dorado is deserving of holding their district title name and are on the road to compete for another title.

The El Dorado Aztecs play against the rival Montwood Rams next week at 4 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 29 at the SAC, in an intense game that is being talked about throughout the city.