Senior Parents Required to Attend Meeting

By Mia Drake

A new district policy requires that all senior parents attend a senior class information meeting prior to their student’s graduation. The first meeting was held on Tuesday and parents packed the theater at 5:30 and 6 p.m. The next meeting will be Tuesday, March 7 at 5:30 p.m. It is recommended that parents arrive early for seating and to visit various information tables.

The meetings typically last about 30-45 minutes. Principal Cynthia Retana and Assistant Principal Lorena Sandoval will address graduation requirements as well as ways to make up Loss of Credit and the consequences for not completing LOC hours on time. Counselors will also speak about the credits required to graduate. Student Activities Director Theresa Maya will speak about Graduation Day rules at the Don Haskins Center.

Parents must attend the meeting, although their student does not have to. Forms are given during the meeting that requires a parent signature, agreeing that they were at the meeting and understand the various policies that were discussed. Counselors pick up that contract at the end of the meeting.

Parents can also purchase yearbooks, senior dedication ads and caps and gowns from the yearbook staff and Herff Jones, respectively. EPCC and UTEP admission counselors are also on hand to give information to parents and seniors.