“Carry On” teaches acceptance in a magical world

In “Carry On” by Rainbow Rowell, teens find a story of love and acceptance in a magical world. It’s both entertaining and educational, bringing attention to a few important topics that we are grappling with in society. It is a whirlwind of magic and wizardry and also includes a love-hate relationship between the two main male characters. It is LGBTQ+ inclusive, in that it speaks of the importance of sacrifice and the acceptance of others; no matter their differences.

In Rowell’s story, Simon Snow is one of the most powerful “mages” (a magical being) in existence, despite his youth. This causes obstacles such as an incapability to take care of himself and control his magic. His vampire roommate, Tyrannus Basilton Grimm-Pitch, or simply just Baz, harbors a hatred for Simon. However this so called hatred isn’t quite so simple and causes a lot of internal conflicts within Baz. Hidden feelings can do that to a person.

As they go through the ins and outs of magic and school together, many fights and brushes with death change Simon and Baz in incredible ways. Self discoveries alter the duo’s view of the world and the people around them. A journey full of humdrums, love and awkward “tails” awaits the two boys who would rather be anywhere else but by the other’s side.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good story about magical worlds and abilities. Pretty much, if you loved the Harry Potter series, you’ll appreciate the characters and plot of “Carry On.”

By Madi Parker