Handling Work and a Healthy Lifestyle by Claudia Juarez

Counselor balances work with healthy exercise

By Claudia Juarez

Surrounded by fast-food restaurant chains and weighed down by exhaustion from a long day, it’s easy to fall to the temptation of a hamburger and fries. It’s difficult to fight off the ease of going through a greasy drive thru, but for counselor and former teacher David Wyndham, a lifestyle that includes attending the gym faithfully for the last 20 years, has kept him healthy. He’s also an instructor at his gym.

“I like it because I feel better when I’m living a healthier lifestyle,” Wyndham said. “My clothes fit better and overall, I’m a happier person.”

To meet his hectic schedule, Wyndham works out at 5 a.m. Monday through Friday. In addition to that, he also buys healthier foods and if he is too busy to cook, he buys meal preps at FitFuel on the west side.

“What motivates me is that I want to avoid getting sick,” Wyndham said. “It’s important that I work out everyday because then I can have a healthier and longer life without being at risk for diabetes or any other disease.”

Wyndham works along with his personal trainer to develop a regimen that fits around his hectic schedule and healthy habits.

“I don’t think it’s necessary to have a personal trainer,” Wyndham said. “But it helps me because it motivates me to be even healthier.”

Students don’t have to hire a personal trainer to stay fit. Simply creating goals and sticking to them each day, no matter how tired or busy, can lead to a happier life. The same applies to dietary habits. If someone wants to have a healthier diet, they can maintain one by buying good protein, vegetables, fruits and shopping at organic stores such as Sprouts, or by consulting a nutritionist.

“It’s important to read and educate yourself,” Wyndham said. “Talk to people who live a healthy lifestyle, too, to see the things that they do and work for them. It’s also good to know how to read labels in the grocery store and know how to make good choices.”

Self-education through reputable health magazines or Internet sites is also key. If it looks unhealthy, don’t eat it. Surely, fruits and vegetables do not always taste good to one’s tongue, but by mixing ingredients such as with a fruit smoothie, one can add kale or spinach and then complement that with fruits to make it taste better.

As students head for summer, make some health, nutrition and exercise goals that will start to have results by the next school year.