The Student Voice of El Dorado High School

Aztec Gold Online News

Aztec Gold Online News

Aztec Gold Online News

Sia’s new music video supports Pulse victims

Music Review

By Thomas Murga

If you’ve ever heard a Sia song on the radio, you know how much her voice stands out from the crowd.

From the screaming falsettos in “Chandelier” and ‘Alive’ to the happy-go-lucky party anthem ‘Cheap Thrills,’ chances are you’ve probably heard Sia. Even if you still can’t remember who Sia is, I’m one hundred percent sure you’ve heard the music she’s written and produced like ‘Diamonds’ by Rihanna and ‘Pretty Hurts’ by the queen Beyoncé herself.

“The Greatest,” the latest single from this vocal powerhouse, is no exception to the list of amazing songs in Sia’s extensive catalogue. As the lead single from her upcoming eighth studio album, “We Are Your Children,” “The Greatest” has a made a bold statement, shocking the world.

The theme of the song is determination. As long as you’re still alive, you have every opportunity in the world to shine bright. If you’ve heard the song, you will notice the well-known rapper Kendrick Lamar delivers one of the greatest verses of his craft.

But, the music video is really what stands out here.

Even though Kendrick’s verse doesn’t appear in the video, that doesn’t mean that the beautiful message is diminished. The main focus of the video is paying tribute to the victims of the Pulse Nightclub shootings in Orlando. The video features Maddie Ziegler, who has become a regular in Sia’s videos, starting with the video for “Chandelier” and continuing with “Elastic Heart.” Behind her are an additional 49 dancers, which is supposed to represent the same number of people that passed away in the shooting.

Even if you’re not a fan of the song, the video itself shines a brand new light on the terrors that have impacted the world and how art and music can fight back.