The Student Voice of El Dorado High School

Aztec Gold Online News

Aztec Gold Online News

Aztec Gold Online News

Make The Switch: Cruelty-free makeup

Animal+Testing
Animal Testing

Make The Switch: Cruelty-free makeup

By Tiffany Velazquez

Cruelty free makeup is makeup, which in the process of being made, did not harm or kill animal test subjects. Even in this day and age, many brands still test on animals. According to the Animal Legal Defense Fund, about 100 million animals are killed each year in laboratories in the United States in biomedical, aeronautic, automotive, military, agricultural and cognitive research experiments.

In my opinion, testing on animals is no longer necessary because researchers and developers are already aware of what ingredients and chemicals are not suitable for humans. Animals shouldn’t be burned, blinded, poisoned, starved, or dissected without painkillers. The U.S. is behind when it comes to this matter. In the U.K., licenses to test cosmetics on animals haven’t been issued for the past 15 years, according to the Animal Legal Defense Fund.

Makeup is about self-expression and beauty, so make the switch to cruelty-free products today. It’s a better choice for men and women because cruelty-free makeup has less toxic subjects, which are better for makeup brushes and skin. If you are hesitant about making the change because you think the makeup isn’t good ‘quality’, remember there are amazing brands out there that do the job of non-cruelty products.

All in all, animal testing is unnecessary and should be put to a stop.

Here is a list of high-quality, cruelty-free brands:

1. Anastasia Beverly Hills
  2. Bare Minerals
  3. Becca
  4. Colourpop
  5. Eyes Lips Face
  6. Hard Candy
  7. Hourglass
  8. IT cosmetics
  9. Kat Von D
  10. Makeup Geek
  11. Milani
  12. NYX
  13. Ofra Cosmetics
  14. Physicians Formula
  15. Pixi
  16. Real Techniques (makeup bushes)
  17. Tarte
  18. Too Faced
  19. Urban Decay
  20. Wet n’ Wild